Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Racquetball: Possibly the Craziest Sport Ever Invented

Today was Daddy-Daughter Day! And, because my Dad is who he is, the day started with a trip to the gym. He introduced me to racquetball, the craziest sport ever invented (in my opinion). If you've never tried racquetball, you should. You should also try racquetball whenever you are stressed or angry, because I'm pretty sure it's the only sport that involves hitting a rubber ball as hard as you possibly can and watching it bounce off four walls, a ceiling, and a floor.

Dad's theory is that racquetball was invented by a guy in jail, since you basically play in a large cell.

I'd like to apologize to everyone in the surrounding courts and weight rooms for my girly squeals, shrieks, and yelps. I'm kind if a sissy sometimes. I'd also like to apologize for the increasing frequency of swear words that came out of my mouth, especially since I'd forgotten we were in a facility belonging to a Christian college.

Racquetball is actually much more difficult than it seems. A small rubber ball bounces everywhere, and you have to either hit it before it bounces twice - and hit it towards the front wall, even if that means slamming it hard enough against the back wall for it to reach the front wall without touching the floor - or get out of the way so your opponent can hit the ball.

Yeah, it's crazy. But it's also surprisingly fun! I'm definitely making some friends play with me when I get back to school (you know you want to). Which, someone pointed out to me yesterday, is less than two weeks away. What happened to my vacation?

No comments:

Post a Comment