Sunday, January 2, 2011

Becoming a grownup, one baby step at a time

Today, I applied for my first ever credit card. I guess that's just one more part of being an adult, but it's kind of weird.

When we were younger, Julie and I liked to play house. Of course, like all normal siblings, we often fought about who got to play which part, and who got to use the good purse (we preferred the fancy white clutch to the other hand-me-down purses from Mom). We had one credit card to play with, so we fought over that, too. I'm sure there are actual fake credit cards for kids today, but ours looked totally legit. It was clear plastic - one of those freebies we got in the mail in an attempt to convince Mom and Dad to get a fancier card from a different company with a higher spending limit, blah blah blah. Julie and I loved it, though. It made use feel so grown up to go to the pretend store and hand the credit card to whoever was cashier at the moment in exchange for plastic pizza and corn.

The weirdest part about applying for a credit card was that when I asked Dad his opinion (he's my financial adviser), he didn't have much to say. He just looked at the website I was on, asked a couple questions that I could answer, and said I should go for it.

I guess the fact that I understand most of the terms and conditions means I'm that much closer to being an adult. Next on the list: finding a job, or at least finding how to get a job!

No comments:

Post a Comment