Saturday, July 30, 2011

Last Night At Home

This is a strange feeling. Tomorrow night I'll be in my new apartment/house in Philadelphia (or maybe at Julie's place, since she has air conditioning). My stuff is pretty much all packed, despite the last-minute change of plans (long story short, U-Haul knows how to take the reservation, but they don't know how to hold the reservation). Thankfully, my aunt and uncle let us borrow their pickup truck, and between that and the minivan, we were able to pack almost everything.

Opening the trunks will be interesting tomorrow. When we open the back hatch of the truck, shoes will probably rain down on us!

It's a good thing my dad is so good at packing. Those vehicles could not possibly be any fuller. We shoved things until they fit, and there are barely millimeters to spare - and I'm not even exaggerating! So even though I'm leaving behind a chair, a TV stand, a few crates, and even (sniff!) some books, I'm still really happy. (I've also realized, for about the 748th time this month, that I have way too many possessions.)

So after hours of packing, including quite a long time crammed between two dressers, bent over to fit in the capped back of the truck, trying to cover mirrors while using a broom handle as an arm extender (it's a really good thing I'm not claustrophobic, and that I'm relatively skinny! I could have used smaller boobs and longer arms, but hey, nobody's perfect), I went shopping with Allison to avoid sitting at home alone on my last night in Rochester.

No, the irony of already having too much stuff and then going shopping is not lost on me. However, the mall excursion was totally justified - I had to use my Old Navy Groupon before it expires in a couple days! (Mission accomplished, by the way.) We also had Abbott's frozen custard, a Rochester tradition that seemed fitting (and delicious) on my last night in town, and then when it started pouring we danced in the rain like crazy people on the strange college green area in the middle of the shopping plaza.

And then I stepped in goose poo.

Still, it was a lot of fun! And I haven't cried yet, just felt really weird all day. Moving away from home after college, when you actually empty your bedroom, is much more final-feeling than going to college for the semester, when you leave most of your belongings behind. And the fact that I'm probably not coming home until Thanksgiving (or maybe late October for a wedding) is a strange thought, as is the very real possibility that my room will have transformed into the guest room when I return (complete with Mom and Dad's double bed).

Next time I blog, I'll be in Philadelphia!

No comments:

Post a Comment